* Qualitative Urine
* Spectroscopic Examination of Haemoglobin
* Estimation of Blood Sugar
* Estimation of Blood Urea
* Estimation of Serum and Urinary Creatinine
* Estimation of Serum Total Proteins and A.G. Ratio
* Estimation of Serum Bilirubin
* Estimation of Serum Cholesterol
* Estimation of Serum Uric Acid
* Estimation of Free and Total Acidity in Gastric Juice
* Quantitative Urine
* Cerebrospinal Fluid
* Determination of pH
* Glucose Tolerance Test
* Gastric Analysis (Fractional Test Meal)
* Cell and Subcellular Components
* Chemistry and Metabolism of Carbohydrates
Questions at the end of each Chapter prepare the student for practical viva-voce. Case reports orient the students to medical application of the basic sciences and prepare them for the viva-voce as well. A list of spotters has also been given after consulting many syllabi. Useful not only for the basic science students but also for the medico-clinical students. VP Acharya MBBS MD (Biochemistry) has obtained her graduation and postgraduation degree from VSS Medical College, Burla, Orissa, India. She is currently serving as Assistant Professor in Vinayaka Missions Medical College, Karaikal, Puducherry, India. She has been an outstanding scholar all throughout her career and has published many scientific publications in national and international journals and has presented research papers in various conferences.
Part 1: Organ Function Tests, 1. Renal Function Tests, 2. Liver Function Tests, 3. Gastric Function Tests, 4. Thyroid Function Tests, 5. Adrenocortical Function Tests, 6. Pancreatic Function Tests, Part 2: Laboratory Investigations, 7. Hyperglycaemia, 8. Hypoglycaemia, 9. Hypercalcaemia, 10. Hypocalcaemia, 11. Hypercortisolism, 12. Hypocortisolism, 13. Hyperlipoproteinaemias (Hyperlipidaemias), 14. Jaundice, 15. Neonatal Jaundice, 16. Hyperthyroidism, 17. Hypothyroidism, 18. Malabsorption Syndrome, 19. Obesity, 20. Polyuria, 21. Haemolytic Transfusion Reaction, 22. Haemolytic Anaemia, 23. Iron Deficiency Anaemia, 24. Macrocytic Megaloblastic Anaemia, Part 3: Miscellaneous, 25. Enzymes and Isoenzymes in Clinical Medicine, 26. Oncogenic Markers (Tumour Markers), Part 4: Inborn Metabolic Diseases (Inborn Errors of Metabolism), 27. Inborn Metabolic Diseases (Inborn Errors of Metabolism).
* Biochemical Composition of Cells
* Techniques in Biochemical Studies
* Cell Architecture and Cell Organelles
* Cilia and Flagella
* Cell Senescence
* Protein Biosynthesis?Transcription and Translation
* Classical Genetics
* Nucleic Acids
* Cell Division
* Chromosomal Aberrations
* Sex Determination
* Cytogenetics and Human Disease
* Basic Microbial Genetics
* History of Microbiology
* Sterilization and Disinfection
* Basis of Taxonomy
* Anatomy of the Bacterial Cell
* Body?s Defence Against Viruses
* Interaction between Micro-organisms
* Nitrogen Metabolism
* Industrial Microbiology
Section 1: Chemical Basis of Life
1. Subcellular Organelles
2. Amino Acids and Proteins
4. Carbohydrate Chemistry
5. Chemistry of Lipids
Section 2: Carbohydrate Metabolism
9. Minor Pathways of Carbohydrates
10. Insulin and Diabetes Mellitus
Section 3: Lipid Metabolism
11. Metabolism of Fatty Acids
12. Cholesterol Metabolism
13. PUFA and Prostaglandins
Section 4: Amino Acid Metabolism
14. General Metabolism of Amino Acids
15. Glycine Metabolism
16. Cysteine and Methionine
17. Acidic, Basic and Branched Chain
18. Metabolism of Aromatic Amino Acids
Section 5: Integration of Metabolism
19: Citric Acid Cycle
20: Electron Transport Chain
Section 6: Proteins
21. Plasma Proteins
22. Heme and Hemoglobin
Section 7: Nutrition
23. Lipid Soluble Vitamins
24. Water Soluble Vitamins
25. Mineral Metabolism
26. Energy Metabolism
Section 8: Molecular Biology
28. DNA Replication
29. Transcription and Translation
30. Recombinant DNA Technology and Other Molecular Biology Techniques
The chapters on molecular genetics, recombinant DNA technology, nutrition, toxins, diabetes mellitus, cancer and AIDS are unique in giving in-depth perception in a concise manner to these highly rele-vant topics. The medical applications of theoretical facts are clearly pointed out and highlighted at the appropriate places. A questions banks at the end has been put to help the students.
Thoroughly updated for its Fourth Edition, "Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry" enables students to quickly review, assimilate, and integrate large amounts of complex information by utilizing powerful visual resources that deliver the focus and clarification needed for mastery of difficult biochemical concepts. Its signature outline format, full-color illustrations, and end-of-chapter summaries and USMLE-style review questions make it one of the most user-friendly books in the field.
* This Text Has Been Fully Revised And A Unit On Nutrition Has Been Incorporated. The Contents Of The Book Serve The Requirements Of Nursing Students Outside The Country As Well.
* The Book Contains Two Parts: Nutrition And Biochemistry. The First Part Deals With Relationship Between Nutrition And Health, Carbohydrates, Fats, Proteins, Food Energy Content, Water And Electrolytes, Balanced Diet, Nutritional Programs, Etc.
* The Second Part Contains Information On Structure And Functions Of Cell Membrane, Composition And Metabolism Of Carbohydrates, Lipids, Amino Acids And Proteins.
BIOS Instant Notes – Biochemistry is a comprehensive book for undergraduate students of Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Medicine. The book comprises chapters on cells, amino acids and proteins, studying proteins, membranes and cell signaling, DNA structure and replication, RNA synthesis and processing, translation, rDNA technology, and nitrogen metabolism. In addition, the book consists of detailed illustrations and clear diagrams along with chapterwise questions to understand the complex concepts of biochemistry better. This book is essential for students preparing for competitive examinations like NET and GATE.
* This book written in the lucid and easily comprehensible language is designed to bridge the gap between clinicians and clinical laboratories.
* Thoroughly revised in view of the newer and better methods in clinical chemistry.
* Appreciable increase in the numbers of case reports with a detailed explanation for the answers.
* Areas like automation, AIDS, quality control, radioisotopes and immunology have been elaborately dealt with.